Followers

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Are You Aware?




This afternoon I took my daughter to the bookstore. I spent an hour in the self-help area of the book store. It was interesting how I found myself there actually after a blowout with my mom. I find that I am angry. Have I always been angry or are there circumstances that are not within my control that is making me feel angry? Well I am not sure - but I am going to search for the answers. While my daughter was in the kids session looking at books and grabbing about half a dozen for me to read, I started reading ....... I did not purchase the book, but I learned a bit and took out my palm pilot and make notes of an author that I wanted to follow-up on. And I have learned something that I wanted to share:

The Law of Karma

The Law of Karma: Every action generates a force of energy that returns to us in like kind. What we sow is what we reap. And when we choose actions that bring happiness and success to others, the fruit of our karma is happiness and success.

I will put the Law of Karma into effect by making a commitment to take the following steps:

1. Today I will witness the choices I make in each moment. And in the mere witnessing of these choices, I will bring them to my conscious awareness. I will know that the best way to prepare for any moment in the future is to be fully conscious in the present.
2. Whenever I make a choice, I will ask myself two questions: "What are the consequences of this choice that I'm making?" and "Will this choice bring fulfillment and happiness to me and also to those who are affected by this choice?"
3. I will then ask my heart for guidance and be guided by its message of comfort or discomfort. If the choice feels comfortable, I will plunge ahead with abandon. If the choice feels uncomfortable, I will pause and see the consequences of my action with my inner vision. This guidance will enable me to make spontaneously correct choices for myself and for all those around me.

I sat here and read this and re-read it and started to wonder how conscious am I when I make choices. Sure I think about my family and how my action effect them, but do I do the same thing for myself? And no, I don't. And I should -- maybe I would stop being so angry.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Nancy, so sorry to know you have not been at peace w/ certain areas in your life. I too went through a dark period last fall where I was very angry & discontent. It can ruin us if we let it. The power of prayer never fails me.

    One truth I've learned is that we cannot control people, places or things. Yep, Mom definitely falls into that. You know your own truth & what makes Nancy be the best Nancy she can be & anger doesn't fit into that equation! You're working it out, though; you're on the right path.

    ReplyDelete